(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0092149 Al
Hartmann (43) Pub. Date: May 5,2005
(54) ELECTRIC POWER TOOL WITH LOCKING MECHANISM
(75) Inventor: Markus Hartmann, Mauerstetten (DE)
DAVID TOREN, ESQ.
SIDLEY, AUSTIN, BROWN & WOOD, LLP
787 SEVENTH AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10019-6018 (US)
(73) Assignee: Hilti Aktiengesellschaft
(21) Appl. No.: 10/945,702
(22) Filed: Sep. 21, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 09/931,135, filed on Aug. 16, 2001, now abandoned.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Aug. 17, 2000 (DE) 100 40 333.6
(51) Int. CI.7 B26D 5/00; B27B 5/00
(52) U.S. CI 83/58; 83/471.2; 83/DIG. 1
An electric power tool has a motor-driven circular tool that can be clamped by means of a clamping device. A mechanical braking device (2) serves to brake the tool. A safety element (4) prevents improper handling of the electric power tool. In a safety position, the safety element (4) prevents the motor from being turned on and activates the braking device (2). In a release position, the safety element (4) allows the motor to be turned on and the braking device (12) is released. An additional locking mechanism prevents that a clamping lever, needed to actuate the clamping device, can be actuated in the clamped state in the safety position. In the release position of the safety element, the locking mechanism is unlocked.