(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2006/0167378 Al
Miller (43) Pub. Date: Jul. 27,2006
(54) APPARATUS AND METHOD TO ACCESS THE BONE MARROW FOR ONCOLOGY AND STEM CELL APPLICATIONS
(76) Inventor: Larry J. Miller, Spring Branch, TX (US)
BAKER BOTTS L.L.P.
98 SAN JACINTO BLVD., SUITE 1500
AUSTIN, TX 78701-4039 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/389,732
(22) Filed: Mar. 27, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/448,650, filed on May
(60) Provisional application No. 60/384,756, filed on May
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 10/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 600/566; 600/567; 600/568
An apparatus for removing portions of bone marrow from a bone is provided. The apparatus includes a housing and a hollow drive shaft operable to engage a gear assembly. The hollow drive shaft includes a first end operable to penetrate the bone and a second end operable to allow retrieval of portions of bone and bone marrow. The apparatus also includes a removable trocar. The removable trocar includes an inner channel operable to convey portions of bone and bone marrow. The gear assembly is able to engage and rotate the hollow drive shaft. A motor operable to drive the hollow drive shaft into the bone marrow by rotation of the hollow drive shaft and a power supply and associated circuitry operable to power the motor are also included.