(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0264570 Al
Kondo et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 30,2004
(54) MOVING PICTURE ENCODING METHOD, MOVING PICTURE DECODING METHOD, AND RECORDING MEDIUM
(76) Inventors: Satoshi Kondo, Yawata-shi (JP);
Shinya Kadono, Nishinomiya-shi (JP);
Makoto Hagai, Moriguchi-shi (JP);
Kiyofumi Abe, Kadoma-shi (JP)
WENDEROTH, LIND & PONACK, L.L.P.
2033 K STREET N. W.
WASHINGTON, DC 20006-1021 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/490,366
(22) PCT Filed: Jun. 17, 2003 (86) PCT No.: PCT/JP03/07640
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Jul. 26, 2002 (JP) 2002-218001
Aug. 7, 2002 (JP) 2002-229487
Aug. 7, 2002 (JP) 2002-289421
Oct. 18, 2002 (JP) 2002-305143
(51) Int. CI.7 II04N 7 12
(52) U.S. CI 375/240.16; 375/240.24; 375/240.15;
In coding a picture to be used as a reference picture by another picture, a motion vector used in inter picture predictive coding is stored into the motion vector storage unit (116). However, the storage of a motion vector is controlled by the coding control unit (110) in such a way that motion vectors of pictures, fewer in number than the number of reference pictures, are stored into the storage unit (116). In the case where direct mode is used in coding a B-picture, if the motion vector to be referred to in coding in direct mode is stored in the motion vector storage unit (116), coding is performed using such motion vector. Further, in the case where the motion vector is not stored in the storage unit (116), coding is performed with the motion vector as "0", and using a motion vector of a neighboring block.