(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0242238 Al
Wang et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 2,2004
(54) USER PLANE-BASED LOCATION SERVICES (LCS) SYSTEM, METHOD AND APPARATUS
(76) Inventors: Jun Wang, La Jolla, CA (US); Leonid Sheynblat, Hillsborough, CA (US); Parag Agahse, San Diego, CA (US); Randall Gellens, San Diego, CA (US); Raymond Hsu, San Diego, CA (US)
5775 Morehouse Drive
San Diego, CA 92121-1714 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/792,062
(22) Filed: Mar. 2, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/452,358, filed on Mar. 5,2003. Provisional application No. 60/452,914, filed on Mar. 7, 2003. Provisional application No. 60/460, 839, filed on Apr. 5, 2003.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04M 1/66; H04M 1/68
(52) U.S. CI 455/456.1; 455/411
A system, method and apparatus for providing location services whereby location determination and location disclosure are treated as separate and independent processes. Location determination may be performed (as necessary) via a first set of network entities to obtain location information for a mobile station. The location information may be cached for subsequent disclosure to any number of applications. Location disclosure may be performed (when requested) via a second set of network entities to provide the location information. Location determination may utilize a first security procedure for authentication and authorization and to obtain a first session key used for location determination. Location disclosure may utilize a second security procedure for authentication and authorization and to obtain a second session key used for location disclosure. For a roaming mobile station, location determination may be performed via a serving network and location disclosure may be performed via a home network.