(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2007/0043431 Al
Melsheimer (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 22,2007
(54) PROSTHETIC VALVE
(75) Inventor: Jeffry S. Melsheimer, Springville, IN (US)
BRINKS HOFER GILSON &
PO BOX 10395
CHICAGO, IL 60610 (US)
(73) Assignee: Cook Incorporated, Bloomington, IN (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/506,459
(22) Filed: Aug. 17, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/709,956, filed on Aug. 19, 2005.
(51) Int. CI.
A61F 2/06 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 623/1.24; 600/36; 623/2.12
Prosthetic valves and a method for making a prosthetic valve for implantation in a body site are provided. The prosthetic valve includes at least one flexible member movable between a first position that permits fluid flow in a first direction and a second position that substantially prevents fluid flow in a second direction. The flexible member has a proximal portion and a distal portion. The valve includes a receptacle operatively connected to the proximal portion of flexible member. The receptacle has an expanded position adapted to receive fluid flowing in the second direction and a contracted position adapted to allow fluid flow through the valve in the first direction. The valve further includes an attachment portion operably connected to the receptacle for attaching the valve to the body site.