(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,056,818 B2
Yang (45) Date of Patent: Jun. 6,2006
(54) SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICE WITH UNDER BUMP METALLURGY AND METHOD FOR FABRICATING THE SAME
(75) Inventor: Ke-Chuan Yang, Taichung (TW)
(73) Assignee: Siliconware Precision Industries Co., Ltd. (TW)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/900,693
(22) Filed: Jul. 27, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2005/0001313 Al Jan. 6, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/337,622, filed on Jan. 7, 2003, now Pat. No. 6,787,903.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Nov. 12, 2002 (TW) 91133105 A
A semiconductor device with under bump metallurgy (UBM) and a method for fabricating the semiconductor device are provided, wherein a passivation layer is deposited on a surface of the semiconductor device where a plurality of bond pads are disposed, and formed with a plurality of openings for exposing the bond pads. A first metal layer is deposited over part of each of the bond pads and a portion of the passivation layer around the bond pad; then, a second metal layer is formed over the first metal layer and part of the bond pad uncovered by the first metal layer; subsequently, a third metal layer is formed over the second metal layer to thereby fabricate a UBM structure. Finally, a solder bump is formed on the UBM structure so as to achieve good bondability and electrical connection between the solder bump and UBM structure.
9 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets