(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2007/0299387 Al
Williams et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 27,2007
(54) SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR
MULTI-INSTRUMENT SURGICAL ACCESS
USING A SINGLE ACCESS PORT
(76) Inventors: Michael S. Williams, Santa Rosa, CA
(US); Richard S. Stack, Chapel Hill,
NC (US); Geoffrey A. Orth,
Sebastopol, CA (US); Jeffrey A. Smith,
Petaluma, CA (US); Richard A. Glenn,
Chapel Hill, NC (US); Daniel W. Fifer,
Windsor, CA (US); William L. Athas,
Chapel Hill, NC (US)
STALLMAN & POLLOCK LLP
353 SACRAMENTO STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/804,063
(22) Filed: May 17, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 11/789,381, filed on Apr. 24, 2007.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/794,563, filed on Apr. 24, 2006. Provisional application No. 60/801,113, filed on May 17, 2006. Provisional application No. 60/801,034, filed on May 17, 2006. Provisional application No. 60/819,235, filed on Jul. 7, 2006.
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 17/20 (2006.01)
A61B 1/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 604/22; 600/102; 600/114;
A system for performing multi-tool minimally invasive medical procedures through a single instrument port into a body cavity includes an expandable frame that carries a pair of tool cannulas, each of which has a lumen for receiving a tool useable to perform a procedure in the body cavity. The frame is expandable to orient the tool cannulas such that they allow the tools to be used in concert to carry out a procedure at a common location in the body cavity.