(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,242,680 B2
Gallant (45) Date of Patent: Jul. 10,2007
(54) SELECTIVE FEATURE BLOCKING IN A COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK
(75) Inventor: John Kenneth Gallant, Piano, TX (US)
(73) Assignee: Verizon Business Global LLC,
Basking Ridge, NJ (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 1037 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/097,592
(22) Filed: Mar. 15, 2002
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2002/0167946 Al Nov. 14, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/276,923, filed on Mar. 20, 2001, provisional application No. 60/276,953, filed on Mar. 20, 2001, provisional application No. 60/276,955, filed on Mar. 20, 2001, provisional application No. 60/276,954, filed on Mar. 20, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 370/352; 370/389
(58) Field of Classification Search None
See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS 6,161,008 A * 12/2000 Lee et al 455/415
Schulzrinne et al., "SIP Call Control Services", Internet Engineering Task Force, Internet Draft, Jun. 17, 1999.
Schulzrinne et al., "RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications", Internet Engineering Task Force, Request for Comments 1889, Jan. 1996.
Handley et al., "SIP: Session Initiation Protocol", Internet Engineering Task Force, Request for Comment 2543, Mar. 1999.
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Bob A. Phunkulh
In the context of a communications system, means are disclosed for ensuring that invocation of redirect features, such as call forwarding, do not circumvent call blocking settings. User profile information associated with a party controls the invocation of features for the party and controls the screening of redirect contacts resulting from feature invocation. The behavior of feature-associated contact screening for the party is configurable independently of the originating calling permissions of the party.
16 Claims, 9 Drawing Sheets