« ZurückWeiter »
(12) United States Patent
(io) Patent No.: (45) Date of Patent:
US 7,460,381 B2 *Dec. 2, 2008
(54) PROGRAMMABLE POWER SUPPLY
(75) Inventor: Thomas W. Lanni, Laguna Niguel, CA (US)
(73) Assignee: Comarco Wireless Technologies, Inc.,
Lake Forest, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 136 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/403,046
(22) Filed: Apr. 12, 2006
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2006/0250829 Al Nov. 9, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 11/154,199, filed on Jun. 16, 2005, now Pat. No. 7,145,787, which is a continuation of application No. 10/927,566, filed on Aug. 26, 2004, now Pat. No. 6,922,347, which is a division of application No. 10/313,793, filed onDec. 5, 2002, now Pat. No. 6,809,943, which is a continuation of application No. 10/140,513, filed on May 7, 2002, now Pat. No. 6,693,413, which is a continuation of application No. 09/694,972, filed on Oct. 24, 2000, now abandoned, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 09/310,461, filed on May 12, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,172,884, which is a continuation-inpart of application No. 09/213,018, filed on Dec. 16, 1998, now Pat. No. 5,949,213, which is a continuationin-part of application No. 09/148,811, filed on Sep. 4, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,091,611, which is a continuation of application No. 08/994,905, filed on Dec. 19, 1997, now Pat. No. 5,838,554, which is a continuation-inpart of application No. 08/767,307, filed on Dec. 16, 1996, now abandoned, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 08/567,369, filed on Dec. 4, 1995,
now Pat. No. 5,636,110, and a continuation-in-part of application No. 08/233,121, filed on Apr. 26, 1994, now Pat. No. 5,479,331.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/002,488, filed on Aug. 17, 1995.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 363/144
(58) Field of Classification Search 363/144,
See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
3,048,805 A 8/1962 Berni
Press Release of Empire Engineering, Electronic Design and Management, Jul. 5, 1995—San Luis Obispo, CA USA, pp. 1-2.
Primary Examiner—Adolf Berhane
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
A programmable power supply for providing a regulated DC output power is disclosed. The power supply provides the output power to any one of a plurality of electronic devices adapted for receiving the output power at an operational voltage or an operational current. The power supply receives a programming signal to maintain the output power at the operational voltage or operational current associated with a particular selected electronic device. Accordingly, by varying the programming signal, the power supply can be programmed to provide output power to any one of several electronic devices having differing input power requirements.
21 Claims, 41 Drawing Sheets
5,977,747 A 11/1999 Huang
6.064.177 A 5/2000 Dixon
6,091,611 A 7/2000 Lanni
6,172,884 Bl 1/2001 Lanni
6,194,875 Bl 2/2001 Takimoto et al.
6,670,797 B2 12/2003 Johanning
6.678.178 B2 1/2004 Lipcsei
6,693,413 Bl * 2/2004 Lanni 323/297
6,809,943 B2 * 10/2004 Lanni 363/144
6,922,347 B2 * 7/2005 Lanni 363/80
7,145,787 B2* 12/2006 Lanni 363/80
Description of the "Smart Adapter System", Nesco Battery Systems, pp. 1-2.
MacWorld "On the Road", vol. 12, No. 7, Jul. 1995, pp. 141-142, 5/9/1 (Item 1 from file: 15) Dialog(r) File 15:ABI/Inform(r). Data Sheet for Benchmarq Model BQ2002C, Fast-Charge IC, Sep. 1997, 8 pages.
Data Sheet for Benchmarq Model BQ2954, Lithium Ion Fast-Charge IC, Nov. 1997, 14 pages.
"Portable Computers Fly High in the Sky with Airline Seat Power," [on-line], Nov. 18, 1996 [retrieved Feb. 13, 2001], pp. 1-2, retrieved from Internet: http://www.roadwarrior.com/xtend/news/ pressreleases/pr-961118 .html.
"New PowerXtenders Adapter Lets Portable Comuter Users Plug Into Computer Power on Airplanes and Cars," [on-line], Apr. 30, 1997, [retrieved Feb. 13, 2001], pp. 1-3, retrieved from Internet: http://www.roadwarrior.com/xtend/news/pressreleases/pr-970420. html.
Declaration of Ejaz Afzal in Opposition to Comarco's Motion for Preliminary Injunction, dated Apr. 30, 2003, 9-pgs w/Exhibits 1-2 attached.
Declaration of Ejaz Afzal in Support of Mobility Electronics, Inc.'s Motion for Summary Judgment, dated May 6, 2003, 10-pgs w/Exhibits 1 -2 attached.
Declaration of David Dickey in Support of Mobility Electronics, Inc.'s Motion for Summary Judgment, dated Jun. 2, 2003, 8-pgs w/Exhibits 1-13 attached.
Declaration of David Dickey in Opposition to Comarco's Motion for Preliminary Injunction, , dated Jun. 2, 2003, 8-pgs w/Exhibits 1-13 attached.
IEEE Systems Readiness Technology Conference, Test Technology for the New Millennium, IEEE Catalog No. 99CH36323, Aug. 30-Sep. 2, 1999.
Instruction Manual for LNS-W Power Supply Series, Lambda Electronics Inc.
Comarco Wireless Technologies Power Products AC Adapter/ Charger Program & Specification (5 pages, 5th page dated Aug. 16, 1994).
Confidential Technical/Cost Proposal re: AC Power Adapter Prepared for IBM Corporation (19 pages, 6th page dated Dec. 13, 1994). Empire Engineering Confidential Disclosure Statement re: Universal Programmable DC Power Adapter dated Jan. 17, 1995) (3 pages). Nesco Battery Systems, SmartAdapter+ Model SA6-V21/30, 6 to 21 Volt DC Universal Adjustable DC Power Adapter Owner's Manual, 1999 (17 pages).
Xtend Micro Products, Inc., 50W DC Adapter Specification, Revision 1.01, (5 Pages).
Xtend Micro Products, Inc., Assembly Drawing for Xtend Cable, Output, DC Adapter, Rev. C, (3 pages).
Delta Air Lines, Letter to Mr. Mark Rapparport, President, Xtend Micro Products, Inc., (1 page).
Xtend Micro Products, Inc., Invoice for 50 Watt DC Adapter to Ingram Micro, (1 page).
* cited by examiner