What is Bandwidth?

Tervolk

I am quite naive when it comes to website technical stuff so please forgive me. I see on my DirectAdmin status bar that I have used .44 of my available .98 of bandwidth. What exactly does this mean? I understand the amount of storage space, but I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong that I have used 10% of my disk space but 50% of my bandwidth. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks much!

Storage space is self-explanatory.

"Bandwidth" is really a misnomer; it really refers to data transit; the amount of total data transferred as a result of requests, email, and ftp to and from your domain.

Jeff

To put simpler. It's basically how much data has been transfered from people visiting your website('s)

"Bandwidth" is really a misnomer; it really refers to data transit; the amount of total data transferred as a result of requests, email, and ftp to and from your domain.

So the more things I put on the website, or the more times people look at it or download things from it, the higher the bandwidth? Does this ever go down, or is it cumulative? What happens if I hit the limit on the account?

Sorry, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me yet. Thanks for the replies and helping me to understand!

--Sue

Data transfer goes up but is reset at the end of the month.

What happens when you hit the limit depends on how your host has configured your account. Some configure your account so it will be suspended if you go over; others configure it so you'll get a warning.

We go the "warning" route, but we do collect extra money if people go over their allotment.

You need to ask your host.

Jeff

"Data transfer goes up but is reset at the end of the month.

What happens when you hit the limit depends on how your host has configured your account. Some configure your account so it will be suspended if you go over; others configure it so you'll get a warning."

OK, now this makes sense. Thanks SO much!

--Sue

Back