Am I a leecher?

Gypsy_michael

I manually set each torrent.

I usually set the torrent I'm downloading to 35 k/Bs upload with 6 slots.

I get an average of 50-175 k/Bs download and 35 kB/s upload.

Once the torrent is done,I usually remove it from list.

sometimes I will allow it to seed for a while,but not usually.

At most i'll have 4-5 torrents running at a time

Ive done several speed tests.

6655 k/bs download and 467 k/bs upload

Am I using UTorrent to its fullness ,considering my speed tests?

and am I sharing enough?

Manually setting per-torrent upload limits causes a lot of problems down the road. You're better off setting sane global limits and letting uTorrent handle the rest.

Running 4-5 torrents at once with per-torrent limits set causes all kinds of messes that leaving the per-torrent settings automatic and having sane global limits does NOT cause.

Additionally, your connection can really only support one or two torrents active at once, and only one of those should be downloading.

Thanks Ultima for the fast reply,

K,ill let them seed :D,

1.0 means i've gave back 100% of the file?

DreadWingKnight

I really dont understand what you mean, :(

Ive downloaded 6 torrents at once lots of times,and have had over 100 K/Bs on two of them at once.

I know with each torrent running,it slows them down.

I see no real issues though.

can you explain what your last post meant,did I miss something

You set individual torrents to a 35kbyte/sec limit.

Your connection MIGHT be capable of 40kbyte/sec.

Run 2 torrents at once, and your connection is flooded.

Set a global limit to 35kbyte/sec while downloading and 0 (unlimited) while not downloading and you will let utorrent assign the upload speed properly across your active torrents.

Running 4-5 torrents at once with 6 upload slots each means you're only uploading to each person that you're uploading to at about 1kbyte/sec (where 5-10 per peer is ideal). You'll probably find that individual torrent speeds will increase if you reduce the number of active torrents.

DreadWingKnight

ok that helps alot. :)

I assumed the way I set them,peers would each get 35 kb/s each.

Im new to this,thanks for the advice :D

Another thing I'll do ,when downloading a torrent with very few seeds,is once I get the file,ill let it seed on unlimited upload until a few more seeds are gained off my help.

There is also upload slots PER torrent to consider.

An upload slot is a peer you're uploading to.

So if you have 40 KiloBYTES/second max upload speed set, 4 torrents, and 4 upload slots per torrent...that means the average speed a single peer would get while you're uploading to them is 2.5 KiloBYTES/second.

Switeck

Im learning this :)

Ive found in my exp so far,when manually setting each torrent,I can "tweak" download speeds, currently im only allowing 3 upload slots on this torrent I'm downloading at 50 K/Bs upload.

this seems to be best setting for this torrent for even having connected to 10 seeds I'm only getting 50-75 k/Bs max download,any further changes drops my download to 10 k/bs.

on all the torrents Ive been downloading today,Im averaging a .6 or better ratio while downloading,then I let it seed way over the 1.0 ratio.

In the future,on torrents with very few seeds,I plan on allowing them to seed after i go to bed :D

Seems to me,the less upload slots with a decent upload speed,causes my downloads to be higher and higher.

earlier I had 2 torrents reach over 175 k/BS each at same time and a third one at 40 K/Bs with 55 K/B average upload,and those slots was each getting 15 K/Bs or better upload.

I love the options in Utorrent, its an awesome tool.

Ive yet to see anyone upload over 70 k/Bs off me,even when I set a seeding only torrent to 150 k/Bs.

But I'm learning :)

Thanks to all for the quick and informative info,Its helped me a lot

Thanks, michael

I've found that only 1 or 2 upload slots doesn't give uTorrent enough flexibility to find the fastest peers quickly...while more than 5 upload slots generally just means you upload so much slower to each peer that they give (far) less back each.

It's pretty much only on the really large 1+ GB torrents with very few seeds that I really have to stop/slow other torrents and tweak the upload slots on to get "decent" download speeds. The first thing I often do is set other torrents to LOW priority and one torrent to HIGH priority. Then I might also individually change upload slots on each of the LOW torrents to 1 total. This really cuts my upload speeds on them without having to stop them. OR I set the 1+ GB torrent's upload slots high and set global upload slots per torrent really low -- same net results as above, but may require editing fewer torrent settings.

The rest of the time, I see download speeds typically 2-5 times my upload speeds.

Do note that at this time I can upload at 125 KiloBYTES/second. This works out to just over 10 GB uploaded per day if everything runs perfectly.

However this was true even when I could only upload 42 KiloBYTES/second...though I typically reduced that as low as 30 KiloBYTES/second while downloading. Typically I let uTorrent upload at 35 KiloBYTES/second while downloading, it was only rarely that I reduced upload speed lower than that.

By letting alternate upload speed (seeding speed) be at least 2-12 KiloBYTES/second faster than upload speed while downloading, I could average far more MB's uploaded per day without "suffering" any noticeable web surfing slowdowns while uTorrent was running.

Switeck

I get what you mean,

I kinda "tweak" each torrent differently depending on how it reacts when I start it.

I do make sure that the uploading peers get a decent speed,but sometimes ill download a whole file and and no seeding happens on my end,even if its the only one i'm running,and I have the torrent set to unlimited up and down.

Im assuming its just because those peers can not connect to me,maybe its due to the port I set,or their IP.

Also sometimes when Ive completed a download,the seeding stops dead.,it says its seeding,but yet no peers are connected.

ATM I have left torrents alone,on default (0) settings

have 2 running on xx/1Mbit

Im getting 300 kBs down 75 kBs up,

Ill see what happens once it completes.

Last Night I had a torrent reach over 500 kBs/ download, :)

if its a large torrent I reccomend increasing upload slots. Whilst I agree uploading slower sometimes slows down what they sending back, I find overall I get favoured by the seeders and get more download speed when I am sending to more people silmultaneously. I then decrease the slots when I am seeding.

Not necessarily the case.. QoS, if set up properly, will alleviate any downstream problems caused by overusage of your upstream..

However, for most users, it is easier to simply set utorrent's upload speed. :)

I use QoS in my router, set up and down to unlimited, and my wife can browse the net, check email, play wow, whatever, with no problems. my upload speed tops out around 70kB/s most times. my top download speeds top out around 450kB/s

a bit offtopic: I miss my 20M/2M cable internet.. but that provider doesn't service my area :(

uTorrent does NOT know how fast your upload limit should be and cannot queue quite as efficiently without a limit that is at least CLOSE to what it should be getting...even WITH QoS enabled!

Try with 70 KiloBYTES/second upload speed max...with QoS still enabled.

uTorrent will probably stay closer to the max more often.

Archived