Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesillypiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Hi any chance anybody's got a few minutes to spare to explain to this numbnut how to install libdvdcss to use with VLC?

Note: I'm very stupid with computer stuff involving codes. Just got the mac mid 2010, still learning how to do the DIY stuff on this thing (which I'm just learning is a whole different ball game from Windows DIY which admittedly has less barriers to leap, fly and rocket through) so imagine you're explaining this to an incredibly dumb 5 year old kid. Thank you very very much, virtual cupcake and ice cream included.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Hi any chance anybody's got a few minutes to spare to explain to this numbnut how to install libdvdcss to use with VLC?

From http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html

Is libdvdcss legal?
The use and distribution of the libdvdcss library is controversial in some signatories countries of the WIPO Copyright Treaty, and the corresponding European Union Copyright Directive (EUCD) within the EU. For instance, the United States of America, it is implemented through the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act).
Different countries implement subtly different restrictions on the use of anti-piracy counter-measures. If you are unsure about the legality of using and distributing this library in your country, please consult your lawyer.
Beware: VLC media player installers for Microsoft Windows and MacOS X are distributed with the libdvdcss library included. The VLC media player source code does not include libdvdcss. Also Linux VLC packages normally do not include libdvdcss.

I just examined the contents of the VLC-1.1.7 app. It does indeed include libdvdcss.2.dylib

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.