Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettymai

IKEA Stora loft bed with 8' ceiling

Betty Mai
8 years ago

Hi there,
Does anyone happen to have the IKEA Stora loft bed installed in a room that has 8' ceilings? The photos I have seen all show these super-tall ceilings, so I can't get a good picture of how much clearance I will have for the loft bed in an 8' tall space. We are also open to chopping off the legs if we need to, but again, hoping for pics! If anyone has any here to share, I would be so grateful. Thank you!

Comments (56)

• CC T
    7 years ago

Any tips on how to cut the ladder and still get the angle right?

• Betty Mai
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's been awhile. I *think* we just measured 6" up on both sides. Then we drew a straight line that was parallel with the bottom of the ladder.
  • CC T
    7 years ago

That's what we were thinking as well. Just a scary thought cause it's a one shot deal. No margin for error.

Thanks!

• Betty Mai
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We cut the four legs first. Then we held a cut one next to the ladder for reference as well. Whatever we did it worked. Wish I could remember it a bit better!
  • Betty Mai
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Actually, maybe it was the 6" piece that we cut off. Lemme know if you'd like a pic of the bed in our 8' ceilings! I'll take one tomorrow. :)
  • katyruff21
    7 years ago

My son said they used a t square to ensure the angle was right

• CC T
    7 years ago

We used the 6" cut leg piece and placed it on the ladder peices. Then figured out the angle was 15 degrees. To be on thr safe side we then re-measured and placed the cut. Perfect!

Thanks everyone!

• colinbaril
    7 years ago

Any pics from anyone. Got the same dilemma. 13y old son, 8 foot ceiling and IKEA Stora wooden loft bed. Figure I need 2'6" (30") of height from the top of 8" mattress for him.

That would mean cutting 10" off the posts. Guess he won't be able to stand up under the bed (going from 5'6" to 4'8"), but would still be more then enough height when he sits on his sofa under it, right?

• Betty Mai
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Attached. The American Girl doll is standing on the mattress, which is a 7" foam one I got from overstock.com due to its low profile. There is about 5" of clearance above the doll's head, so about two feet of clearance. As noted, we cut 6" off the legs and ladder before we assembled. In retrospect, I wish we had gone for 12-18". My kid is only 9 and I'm very petite, so this would be hard if you are a "normal" sized adult. ;)
  • Rocio Geraldine
    7 years ago

I had the same question. I have limited space and I didn't measure the distance from the ceiling. I'm 5'6, but still want to be able to fit a sofa or desk space. Do you know if I cut 12" would I have space below still?

• colinbaril
    7 years ago

Rocio, as far as I can tell, there is 66" of space under the bed BEFORE any cutting. So if you cut 12", that is 54" or 4'6 left. That might be tight to have a desk and chair under. When I sit on a chair, I am about 4'5 high....

• Rocio Geraldine
    7 years ago

Got it thanks. How about putting a small sofa under?

• colinbaril
    7 years ago

In the end, we cut off 6" this morning. This let's my son (just under 5") easily move around under the bed, and sit on the sofa we put under there. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

• pannernan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd love to see your finished Stora photos colinbaril - we want to do same for our son's room. Thanks!

• colinbaril
    7 years ago
    Here is the finished Stora loft bed. Cut 6" off, as my son wanted more height for the sofa/ work area under.
  • pannernan
    7 years ago

Ohh that looks really good. I'm convinced, that's what we''ll do. Thanks so much for the update Colinbaril.

• dmyzer
    7 years ago

So, colinbaril, that gives you a height of about 76" to the very top of the rails? Is that correct? It looks great, by the way.

• dmyzer
    7 years ago

Sorry, I mean about 78" inches.

• User
    7 years ago

One thing to think about when u get bunk beds for a small room is if u have a ceiling fan. My GD can't sleep on the top bunk in the summer.

• Karen Morris
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am getting ready to purchase the Ikea Stora bed for my daughter. My question is, does anyone know what the measurements are within the area that actually holds the mattress. How deep is that area?

• Benny Reyes
    7 years ago

I believe the instructions in the assembly book recommend a standard double mattress (Length and width) But 5 inch max thickness

• Gill Punshon
    7 years ago

Hi, we have put the Stora loft bed up, but it is too high, need to cut off at least 6 inches, has anyone done this with the bed assembled, if so how?

thanks

• Starr Capps
    6 years ago

The bed's page says "For safety reasons the mattress (sold separately) must not be more than 7½" thick."

• rayrayl
    6 years ago
    Hi all, my daughter age 11 is very keen to get this bed but we are so confused about the mattress options! Any mattress which we have tried that conforms to the recommended size is very uncomfortable (too thin). Has anyone used one a bit over the recommended 7.5inch? Thanks
  • Michele Villegas
    6 years ago

Hello all,

First regarding mattress height. If your while is older, a little thicker mattress is fine. The reason the want a thin mattress is so the safety rails are higher than the mattress. You can also use a twin mattress and leave the 10 inches or so open between the mattress and rails. We did this and worked great.

Regarding leg height, we cut about 15 inches off for 8' ceilings. An adult can sit up in bed this way. It worked well at this height and I slept in it at 45 years old many times with my child.

I have one for sale right now on Craigslist if anyone is interested. Precut legs and includes the IKEA bookshelf. Great bed. We are in Orange County California.

good luck!

• Jason W.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Could anyone tell me inside length and depth measurements between the STORÅ Loft frame posts below the bed? The ikea website indicates that the length is 79 7/8" and the width (depth?) is 58 1/4", which I think are the outside measurements. I'm trying to determine what can fit between the posts below the bed. Thanks!

Edit: Turns out my sister has this. The outside length is 76" and depth is 52.5"!

• pattiv
    6 years ago

Does anyone know what the weight limit is for this bed? I cannot find it anywhere. I want to use the Full size one as a guest bed, so I want to make sure it will accommodate one, maybe even two cozy adults.

Thanks!

• katyruff21
    6 years ago

My son is 6ft 4 and at least 14 stone and sleeps in this bed every night. Hope this helps

• pattiv
    6 years ago

Thanks, @katyruff21! That helps tremendously! I don't know why Ikea doesn't publish a weight spec for this particular bed.

• pattiv
    6 years ago

@Michele Villegas ... do you still happen to have the bed? I'm in OC, too. Thx!

• purvi_sheth91
    6 years ago

Just bought this bed , how can I cut the bed short ? If i take it to home depot do they provide that service ? Any place or person who can help for a reasonable fee. I am in OC, Ca

• Reece H
    6 years ago
    Has anyone ever tried or does anyone know if it is safe to move one of the side central cross supports to floor level?
    I realise this will be a trip hazard, but at present it would make it a lot more practical for moving around the room.
  • Connie Pontius
    6 years ago

I cut my teenage sons down for his old bedroom that had 8' ceiling and a ceiling fan too. Wish I still had pic. However. I cut 4 main support post to 4'8". Now 6' tall he can still chill in his extra "hang out space" below

• Connie Pontius
    6 years ago

For those looking for a ladder cut down. I was uncomfortable with the ladder as my baby. Is the size of baby Huey. Lol. 6' 240lbs. One day I was at IKEA in the floor model section. They were selling the carts with returns. (Wood, cabinet pieces etc. $10. And there was a sufficient Amt of wood so I built him a new ladder. Much more sturdy then the previous.

And BD to make the list more sturdy.... use the hack with aircraft cable. It works.

I have no no fear of this ladder not supporting him

• hybridmama22
    6 years ago

@ Terre Fletcher Are you able to post a photo of the pine corner braces you mention above? And, describe where exactly the are placed. I think this would be a great loft bed for my kiddo and would love to incorporate your hack tips. Thanks!

• Terre Fletcher
    6 years ago

@ Reese H... I wouldn't advise moving a side cross piece to the bottom it would cause drastic instability because the bed is set so high up. Get a 1" x 4" piece of pine and cut extra braces the same length as the ones already on the bed and screw these to the bottom of the legs. Would do them all the way around the 3 sides for better support. Hope this helps! (1x4 pine is cheap and easy to paint-easy peasy!)

• Terre Fletcher
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@ hybridmama22 Here is a closeup of one corner. (1) I measured one end post from the bottom of the top bunk frame to the floor then divided that number into 3rds, then went down from that same bottom board of the top bunk to the first 1/3 measure and that's where I chose to attach the brace to each post. (2) I used the little posts on the front and the back railings as a guide and attached one end of the brace on the back side of the frame near each little post then attached the other end on the corner post at the 1/3rd mark using screws. (3) On each end of the bed I marked the middle and attached each brace from the middle and then attached the end to each corner post. I did a rough angle cut at both ends of each brace (did one brace then used it as a pattern board to cut the rest like the first). The end braces may end up being shorter than the front and back ones (I incorrectly stated on original post that they would all be the same size) but the ends are still angle cut like the longs ones are. Hard to describe so I hope this pictures help. I'm a grandma in my late 60's so I'm not worried about how it looks as much as how it keeps this bed frame stabilized. My 13 yr. old granddaughter sleeps on top and I have my full sized bed below! Once I move out then she has the whole thing to herself! Lol!!! (Sorry this is so wordy)

• hybridmama22
    6 years ago

@ Terre Fletcher - Thank you. This is very helpful :)

• makakio54
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all - we're about to pull the trigger on this bed but need one crucial measurement that I don't think IKEA provides. Full size, they spec the width of the bed at 58.25". A full size mattress is ~54", so this can't be the true width (from the back of the bed all the way to the front of the ladder) - I think just the "frame" width.

Can someone with this bed grab a tape measure and post that full measurement for me? IKEA is awful for customer service on this stuff...

Kind thanks

Matt

• pattiv
    5 years ago

Hi - I just measured the width of the space for the mattress, and indeed it is about 54 inches. The larger measurement must be the outside of the frame and the legs. (Or a typo!)

I purchased a full mattress from a local furniture chain (Jerome's) in So Cal, and it is quite snug in the frame. (So snug that at times it can be a challenge to change the fitted bottom sheet.) A standard Full mattress should be fine, certainly no gaps.

• pattiv
    5 years ago

Not a great photo, but here is the shortened bed in my Office/She Shed. For the near future it will only be used by adults and older teen visitors so we did not install the side rail. We also abandoned the ladder, and use a very sturdy table plus a step stool for access. And all of those can slide back under and out of the way when not needed.

This is with about 5 or 6 inches off the legs. Still enough room for a second workstation underneath. (Ok, I have clonked my head once getting out, but it wasn't bad.) While a computer station works, I usually have a lower chair in there for reading. I'm 5'6" and it's enough space once I'm seated.

• makakio54
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for the contribution, Patti - I've been wondering what it looks like with 5-6" cut down as most people are talking 12+" (for standard 8' ceilings). Does anyone else have the ability to take a measurement from the back of the bed to the very front of where the ladder touches the floor?

Terre Fletcher ?

• Alexandra Karras
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a question-- how many inches does the ladder go out on the bottom? I'm scared it may not clear my wall opposite from the ed when fully stretched.

• Zsolt Miller
    5 years ago

Hi everyone. I want to buy a second hand Stora IKEA bed but I'm not sure if I can take it with my car. Is it possible to disassemble the bed fully, even the bedstead? Thank you in advance

• Yaa Davis
    4 years ago

Hello All, is it possible to fit a full size or queen under this loft (short end of course) ? I’m trying to figure out space for a 10y old & a tall teen. Wondering if there’s enough room between the ladder and frame. Thanks in advance

• Danielle Ramirez
    4 years ago

@yaz yes I have this bed and we have a full size bed underneath but it doesn’t leave room for you to enter from the sides unless you hop over the wood stabilizer that run towards the bottom

• Nathan Eckrich
    4 years ago

@Pattiv , are these 8 foot ceilings?

• pattiv
    4 years ago

@nathan eckrich - the ceiling is only 7 ft 4 in, and the posts were cut to 69 inches.

• pattiv
    4 years ago

@yaz - I put a queen air mattress under mine recently. I don’t use the ladder tho. There was room on both sides but not a lot.